Now may be a good time to pursue a master’s degree in communications and public relations. With the emergence of multiple new media platforms (e.g. web sites, social networks, mobile applications), and a more global marketplace, the demand for tech-savvy communications and public relations specialists continues to expand. According to a 2014 report from the BLS, “Employment of public relations specialists is expected to grow 12 percent from 2012 to 2022, about average for all occupations.” According to the same report, in 2008, the median annual wages for salaried public relations specialists were $54, 170. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $30, 760, and the top 10 percent earned more than $101, 030.
A master’s degree in communications or PR can greatly expand your career options in the field. More and more people are choosing to pursue degrees online because of the greater flexibility and affordability of online degrees. The quality and credibility of online schools and online degree programs vary widely, so it is important to do a thorough investigation before making a decision about which online master’s program is right for you. To help with that investigation, we put together a ranking of what we judge to be the best online and distance learning master’s programs in communications, journalism, and PR for 2017. Our online degree rankings are based on several factors: school and program reputation, peer and instructional quality, and overall affordability. Only fully accredited programs were considered for our rankings. If you are not ready for a master’s degree, we also published rankings for schools bachelor’s degrees in communication and public relations.
- At Walden, we believe that knowledge is most valuable when put to use in organizations, communities, and families. We offer over 75 online degree programs with more than 345 specializations and concentrations, all designed to help professionals gain the knowledge they need to have a real impact in their lives and the lives of others. Walden University’s M.S. in Management program prepares you to reach your professional goals through real-world knowledge that can help you successfully manage projects and effectively lead teams. Learn to integrate and align organizational processes and systems as well as to motivate employees to meet and exceed the challenges and goals relevant to today’s dynamic work environments.
- Liberty Online offers a PR concentration in their Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree program. In addition to the standard MBA core coursework, students in this online degree program must complete courses that include: media technologies and communication strategies, communication and conflict, and strategic communication campaigns for the digital age. Tuition for this 45-credit hour degree program is $490 per credit hour; students can transfer up to 12 credit hours from other academic institutions.
- Full Sail University has developed a 12-month, Master of Arts in Public Relations program. It is designed to equip students with the knowledge and understanding of traditional PR methods, as well as digital media expertise. This is a project-based program where students work with real clients and are faced with real PR challenges. In addition to this, students are able to showcase their accomplishments on a personal site, allowing them to establish a presence in the PR industry that may help boost their careers.
- The Bachelor of Science in communication program focuses on teaching students how communication processes create, maintain and transform identities, workplaces and communities.
Courses are designed to develop oral, written, critical thinking, and research skills through practical application of concepts in personal and professional challenges.
- SNHU’s online Master of Arts in Communication is a cutting-edge graduate program designed for forward-thinking professionals like you. This 12-course program has been newly designed for individuals pursuing a variety of exciting communication related careers, such as public relations, marketing, social media, journalism, advertising, organizational communication, among other fields. In this program, you will explore exciting coursework in areas such as social media practices, reputation management, ethics, personal and corporate brand building, writing for digital platforms, marketing campaign design, and more.