Please be aware of specific details regarding curriculum
Overview: (Please refer to the Major Worksheets above)
Effective September, 2014: To major in Public Relations, students will complete six (6) credits of pre-major courses, eighteen (18) credits of required courses and 12 credits of electives (a total of 36 credit hours for the major).
To major in Public Relations, eligible students apply to the program. Applications are accepted annually in February. Applicants must have a minimum QPA of 2.5 overall and 2.5 in the pre-major courses.
Effective September, 2014: Complete (or be in the process of completing or have a demonstrated plan to complete) the following courses before applying to the Major.
- COM 202 Public Speaking (pre-req: COM 100)
- PRS100: Introduction to Public Relations
Enroll in these courses once accepted as a Public Relations Major.
- WRT 331 Public Relations Writing (pre-req: 200 level Writing course)
- PRS 340 Public Relations (taught only in the Fall)
- PRS 441 Public Relations Practices (taught only in the Spring; pre-req: PRS 340)
- PRS 491 Public Relations Internship (pre-req: PRS340)
- COM381 Research Methods (pre-req: COM202, Junior Standing)
- JOR 341 Editing for Publication I (pre-req: WRT331 with a C or better)
Majors must complete six elective courses, with at least one course from each category.
- COM302: Advanced Public Speaking
- COM351: Comm for Bus.
- COM415: Ethics of Persuasion
- COM416: Propaganda
- COM450: Organizational Communication
- COM445: Media Advertising
- COM454: TV Advertising
- JOR442: Editing
- JOR410: Media Issues
- PSY335: Social Behavior
- PRS200: Intro to Event Management
- PRS300: Social Media Strategies for the PR Professional